Saturday, October 21, 2017

Chicago!

September 14, 2017

In the two days I spent there, I got a lot done in Portage, IN. But, I was really excited to be getting to Chicago. I was even more excited to be finished with the Great Lakes. Pretty as they are, they treated me poorly. And... they weren't done with me, either.
I got an early start and was underway on calm waters. But, true to form, by the afternoon the wind had picked up and the waves were tossing me around.
I had called ahead and reserved a spot at DuSable Harbor. As I was approaching, I tried to call them on the radio. I also tried to call them on the phone. I got no answers. I managed to find my slip and tied myself in. I thought that I'd get a little more help for $100.00 a night. I found the office to let them know that I had arrived. I also mentioned that I didn't get any answers to my calls. The kid working in the office explained that the radios didn't work in the office. I didn't say anything, but I was thinking that for that kind of money they could get a better radio or a bigger antenna. Oh, well.
I had a shower and treated myself to a couple of beers at the café that was right on the river walk next to the marina.
While enjoying my beer, I asked to look at a menu. They advertised Mediterranean food. I finished my beer and took a long walk over toward Navy Pier. By the time I got back toward the boat, I was hungry. I decided to eat at the same little café. I had lentil soup, kufta on rice, and a nice salad. It was all delicious.
I found out that Monroe Harbor, right next to DuSable, only charges $1 a foot for a mooring ball. So, after breakfast, I moved the boat to Monroe. I'd never grabbed a mooring ball before, but it was fairly easy. I wound up staying on the mooring ball for two nights. The mooring field and DuSable are all run by the city of Chicago. The mooring field is serviced by a couple of tenders that will pick you up and drop you off pretty much on demand. You just have to call them on VHF channel 68. Easy and fun.
After I got moved to the mooring ball I hailed a tender and went out for breakfast. On the walk back I decided to do some grocery shopping. I Ubered back to the boat with my groceries. I then spent the afternoon walking around Navy Pier and having a few beers on the pier. The weather was gorgeous, so I enjoyed my little break.
Next day I did much the same thing, walked, ate, enjoyed. But, the day before I had noticed a big group of people on Segways. I decided to treat myself. I again walked to Navy Pier and found the kiosk that rented the Segways. I asked the young woman at the counter if I could take a Segway tour. She pulled out an appointment book and asked me what day I wanted to go. I responded that I wanted to go now! She said let me check with Matt. They wound up charging me $10.00 more than the regular tour for a private tour with Matt. It was great. I really had a good time learning to ride the Segway and then taking the hour tour.

Tomorrow we enter the river system!

No comments:

Post a Comment