Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Still More Phase 3

Sunday (2/26/2017) was a really good day. Aside from being sunny, warm, and windless, I got lots done on the boat. I spent some time on general housecleaning. I also drove the spikes into the pilings near the boat so that I could re-tie all the lines. I was not able to easily cast off and tie back up. So, the spikes and some new dock lines got me squared away on that. My neighbor, Jackson Jr., came over and helped me with the mast. The halyard on the mast was wrapped in electrical tape to keep it from flapping around. I took the mast down, unwrapped the tape and attached the AGLCA burgee.
Now, I'm letting everybody who knows what it means what my intent is. I also took down the canvas covers on the windows.
It took some doing, but I made ready for a short cruise. One of the RVers here asked if I would mind taking him out for a short spin. I asked him if he would mind giving me a hand on getting a couple of things done. We agreed to the spin and the assist. We untied and headed out on the intra-coastal. I needed to fuel up and empty the waste tank. I hadn't done either. Holiday Harbor Marina is just a half mile away, so that's where we headed. They provide both fuel and pump out services.
Mission accomplished, we headed out for a cruise. My new friend, Dennis, is a retired Sheriff. We chatted and took in the sights along the waterway. After an hour or so, we headed back. I was able to pull into the slip without too much problem, Dennis manned the lines and my neighbor, Amy, Jackson's mom, threw lines for the bow. Pretty cool.
Unfortunately, during our brief cruise, I found that the GPS couldn't locate any navigation satellites. I spent a good part of the day yesterday on the phone with Garmin and with downloading and uploading the latest software updates. All to no avail.
Today, I went to register the dinghy thinking that I had all the right paperwork. After several hours of waiting and another hour with a DMV clerk, it was determined that I didn't have the right paperwork. So, I just got finished writing to the distributor of the dinghy. We'll see how that turns out. On the bright side, while I was on that side of town I went to West Marine and bought an external antenna for the GPS. When I got back to the boat a hooked it up the GPS was suddenly able to find a dozen satellites. I'm not sure why it quit finding satellites, but I guess if the antenna solves the problem...
Now I need to mount it permanently to the boat.
Some ups, some downs, but still on track for an April 1 departure.

No comments:

Post a Comment