Wednesday, August 23, 2017

The Detroit River

Detroit River Light
The Detroit River connects Lake Erie to Lake St. Clair. I had heard that the river has a pretty swift current. So, I got up and out of Brest Bay fairly early in the morning. As you can see in the picture, the water in the lake was perfect. The light is right where the river flows out into Lake Erie.
Just as I passed the light in the picture, I was passed by a Canadian Coast Guard cutter. The crew on the foredeck waved at me as they went past.
I was forced, by the current, to run at a fairly high throttle setting. I was concerned with running out of fuel. I was especially aware because Brest Bay Marina didn't have diesel. So, I already had a day's worth of cruising sucked out of the tank. And, it seemed that the longer I cruised, the later my arrival time became on my GPS.
But, the cruise up the river was really pretty, challenging, but pretty. I passed Grosse Isle, Fighting Island, and Belle Isle, as well as a few other islands in the river.
In the end, I made it to my destination, Kean's Marina. I had fuel left in the tank when I arrived and all was right with the world. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jack. We met at St. Clair Marina then again at Lexington. Nice to see your blog passing our hometown of Windsor-Detroit. Smooth sailing - Be safe ....

    ReplyDelete