Thursday, November 17, 2016

Phase 2 Complete

It has been a good week. Sunday, I went out for a long cruise. I was out for about 2 hours. I went east for about 1/2 an hour then turned around. I cruised west for an hour and turned around. After another 1/2 an hour, I was back at the Oyster Bar. I spent time learning the Garmin GPS. It's pretty cool. I did a little maneuvering just to see how she turns and backs-up.
Monday, I went for a longer cruise. I was out nearly 4 hours. I again cruised east and nearly made it to the Gulf of Mexico. I didn't quite make it. I guess trying the Gulf will be on January's agenda. I ran into a bit more traffic this time. There is a lot of barge traffic on the intra-coastal waterway. Some of them are huge.
Great Blue Heron
Tuesday and Wednesday, I worked at two elementary schools. The staff were all quite nice and grateful for the assistance. I guess it's tough getting subs. One of the administrators told me I could work every day if I wanted to. We'll see. I just want to keep busy and enjoy snow-birding.
Today, I spent some time with the factory rep. We again went over systems. I'm pretty confident that I can handle the boat. There are a lot of modifications I'd like to make and a lot of equipment that I'd like to have on board.
I had a visitor the other day. He just kept hanging around. But, I didn't have my camera and I thought for sure that as soon as I moved he'd fly off. I slowly made my way to the cabin, got my camera, and made to back to my seat. He never moved.
And speaking of wildlife, while I was on my long cruise, I spotted what I thought was a ray leaping out of the water. Google says sure enough, manta rays leap out of the water. Who knew?
Well, I've become convinced that I can live aboard! The conditions will be a little primitive, but the bunk is reasonable, the head works, the stove works, and the sink works.
Phase 3 will start in mid-January. I've made arrangements for a slip about a 1/2 mile down the road. They've been kind enough to let me use their shower and laundry facilities for the last two weeks. So, I'm looking forward to "moving in".

No comments:

Post a Comment