Sunday, May 28, 2017

Continuing North on the East Coast of Florida

I had a string of really nice cruising days. After spending a quiet night in Mosquito Lagoon, I headed to Coquina Marina. It was inexpensive for the area and was recommended because it had recently changed hands.
On my way to Coquina Marina, I was cruising through a fairly narrow section of the intra-coastal. It was built up on both sides, nice houses with docks reaching out into the waterway. There was a restaurant on the east side of the waterway and I noticed that it was closed. Apparently they were doing some construction. There was a big excavator shovel working on removing earth and stone from the edge of the channel. All of a sudden, with a deep groan, the shovel started falling into the waterway. It seemed like it fell in slow motion. I grabbed my VHF radio and was about to call it in when I saw the operator scramble out of the machine. Several people on the shore went running to help.
I motored on to Coquina. I tied in with the help of a very nice harbor master. He gave me all the info on the marina's amenities, lock combinations, WiFi password, etc. He also told me that it was just a brief walk to Caribbean Jack's restaurant. How could I resist? After my shower and a quick change of clothes, I walked over and had a nice dinner and a couple of beers.
Next stop Palm Coast

No comments:

Post a Comment