Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Bad Idea #381

So now that my inflatable dinghy is fixed, I have to tow it behind me and tend to it when docking and leaving dock. What I've been doing is pulling it up tight to the stern and lashing it to the swim platform cleats using the towing bridles. So far, so good.
Turns out, it's a little difficult to lean out over the swim platform, grab the bridles and tie them securely to the platform. So, genius that I am, I tie a bow line to the dinghy and tie the line to the stern cleat on the boat. Works like a champ. When I want to pull the dinghy in, I just grab the line, haul away and tie the line to stern rail. Easy.
Yesterday, I was pulling into a dock in Lewes, Delaware. Of course, I hadn't secured the dinghy because this was going to be an easy dock. Pulling in bow first, I get the bow line secured. But, the wind and the tide are working against me and pretty soon, I'm sideways in the dock. I put it in reverse to correct the position. But, the line on the bow of the dinghy sunk under the boat and got caught in the prop. The engine comes to an abrupt halt.
We get the boat secured to the dock and the suggestions and comments start to pour in.
Get it towed over to the haul-out facility across the canal. That's about $250 to $300.
Hire a diver. Probably more than the haul-out.
"Yeah, when that happened to me, I broke a motor mount."
"Yeah, I bent the prop shaft like that."
I was getting a little panic stricken.
The Asst. Dockmaster says, "Hey, I get off a 4. I'll look at it"
It took him about half an hour of holding his breath and using my dive mask and it was done. He would only accept a $20.00 tip.
Can't say thank you enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment