Monday, June 5, 2017

USCG Rule 34

Harken back to the days of steamboats and steam engines . In those days there were few methods of ship-to-ship communication. One method was to use of their steam whistles, and so whistle signals became common.
Although, today, we use horns (electric, electronic, and compressed air), the term whistle signal is still used. If you intend to pass another vessel on your starboard side (their port side), you should give two blasts of your horn. If you intend to pass them on your port side, one blast is sounded. If the vessel being passed agrees they return the same signal.
I had read about whistle signals a long time ago. Just salted away in my memory. I've been cruising for over two months now and I've been passed by, perhaps, thousands of boats. Remember that I cruise at about 5 knots. Some boats have contacted me on the radio. Most just speed by and leave me in their wake.
So, it was with great surprise the other day that I heard one blast. I turned around and saw a 40' cruiser right behind me. I returned the blast and they proceeded to pass me on my starboard side.
As they passed, they waved and gave me a thumbs up. I suspect that they were as surprised to get the correct signal back as I was to get their signal in the first place.
USCG Rule 34 specifies the whistle signals and how to use them.
So endeth today's lesson in nautical knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment