Thursday, June 1, 2017

Month 3 Begins

I've been trying to stack up lots of miles so that I can be north of Norfolk. I was aiming to be there by June 1, but clearly, I didn't make it. The weather worked against me, some technical needs worked against me, and only making about 5 knots is working against me.
But, I've been having a good time. After visiting Stan and Connie, I anchored out and then made a long run to Fort George Marina in Jacksonville, FL. I stayed over a second night because, 1.) it was pretty windy and 2.) I was having a really hard time finding a route north with my limited resources. So, I took a ferry over to the mainland and an Uber to West Marine. I had them hold a MapTech book of charts for me. It was a big investment, but it made clear the way I needed to go.
First day in Georgia
I anchored out again on the 21st. Not much has been happening during the cruises. They've been pretty, most of them pretty smooth. I did cross some big water and got knocked around a bit (nothing like crossing the Gulf). I got to Morningstar Marina on St. Simon's Island, GA. After more than a month and a half, I'm finally beyond Florida. Uneventful there. I Ubered over to Publix for some much needed supplies. It was a bouncy night tied up to the dock, but I had fresh water, food, and a full fuel tank. Life is good!
I headed out for an anchorage a little more than 25 miles north. I was a narrow, but protected creek. I anchored about half a mile north of a ferry landing and thought I was safe. Then the thunderstorms rolled in. I was listening to the weather radio, watching online radar, and looking at WeatherUnderground. Tornadoes had been reported, water spouts and been reported, and the thunderstorms were crashing over my head. I was pretty scared. Scared enough to put on my life vest and hook my portable VHF to my belt. I had a pretty miserable night's sleep and got up the next morning to more storms, rain, and wind. The tide had gone out, which effectively made my anchor line longer. I watched as my boat swung ever closer to shore. Finally, I heard the skeg crunch onto the bottom. I started the engine and jumped to the bow of the boat. I hauled in the anchor and moved another 2 miles upstream. It was a little wider there, so I rode out the rest of the storm and collapsed into bed around 9p. Worst 2 days, so far. Hoping to not have to repeat any of that. But, I survived and I guess it just goes with the territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment