Sunday, July 23, 2017

Lock 20

I got a late start out of Saint Johnsville. I fueled up and watered up. The fuel dock didn't open until 9:00a. Again, it was a little rainy and a little gloomy, but I remain grateful for the calm waters of the Erie Canal.
Traveler tied to the wall at Lock 20

It was a 31 mile cruise to Lock 20. The lock had been recommended as a nice place to tie up. I got there, tied up, and settled in for the night with a glass of wine. After a bit, a gentleman walked up and we started chatting. He said that he had a friend that was interested in this (my Ranger Tug) kind of boat and would I mind if he took some pictures. Of course I didn't mind and we continued to talk. I invited him to have a glass of wine and he said that he'd be right back, that he had a couple of things to do before it got too late.
It turns out that my new friend, Al Freihofer, is taking his Adirondack Guide boat (read really big canoe that is rowed instead of paddled) on a 680 mile adventure to raise money for the school he works for.
Seems that we are kindred spirits, boats, adventure, airplanes, travel. He used to own a Pitts Special. And, I'm not jealous... no really... I'm not... OK... really jealous.
You should check out his blog at - arowtoofar.blogspot.com.
We drank wine, talked about boats, airplanes, adventures, politics and all in all had a very nice (if too short) evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment