Sunday, July 30, 2017

Whoopsies

I've been cruising pretty hard. I feel like I still have to make up for the late start. But, I think I'm gaining. Anyway, an overnight stop at Lyons, NY and on the road (so to speak) again early. I was headed for Spencerport. But, I encountered a bridge that I thought I could clear. I couldn't. The radar mast hit the bridge and tore a section of fiberglass away from the roof. Not the roof itself, but a fiberglass plate that holds the mast, horn, and spotlight. The really nice bridge tender asked me to fill out an incident report. He told me that I wasn't the first, nor will I be the last. He gave me the number of a near-by repair facility.
Along the Erie Canal
The folks at Mid-Lakes Navigation couldn't have been nicer. The owner met me at the dock. He introduced me to a free-lance repair guy, Steve, and then took me on a tour of his facility. The repair guy said that to remove the section of fiberglass would require dismounting all the hardware. Then the glass would have to be laid out and cured, etc., etc. Be about 2 weeks and $1200. Or... or... "I could just screw it back together and put some caulk on it. That'd be about $50." I opted for the latter and he was done in an hour. The owner let me stay on the dock gratis due to emergency nature of my visit.
And, as if all that wasn't nice enough, Steve let me borrow his Mercedes so I could run to Walmart for supplies.
So, if you find yourself in western New York or in need of an idea for a vacation, stop in and visit Mid-Lakes. They have several custom built steel bottom canal boats that are for rent. The boats are beautiful and everything is included.
Next day, I cruised out and managed to make it to Spencerport without further incident.

No comments:

Post a Comment