Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Cruising Without Pants

After the boat work yesterday, I took myself out to dinner again. Went to the same restaurant as the night before. It was pretty good and walkable.
I went to bed early with the intention of getting up early. Good thing. The marina starts early. Their hoist machine was putting boats in the water at 6a. I got up and cleared the decks for departure. I did all the engine pre-start work and made arrangements for fueling up. I backed the boat over to the fuel dock and filled up. I also filled the spare 5 gallon can that I had bought at the marina. I hope not to run out of fuel again!
I was headed out at about 7:30a. It's a long trip through the channel and out into the Gulf. As I was idling along (it's a no wake zone), I noticed that one of my bow lines was dragging in the water.
If that got pulled over the side, it could be disastrous. When I got out to the Gulf, the calm waters of the outbound channel turned really rough. I couldn't stop in the channel. I waited until I got into the Gulf to move that line. I grabbed my boat hook and sat on the starboard gunwale to grab the loose line. As I sat, a wave broadsided the boat and soaked me. I managed to get the line, but I needed to get underway right away. The only choice was to remove the wet pants and cruise on.
It turned out to be another long day cruising, just a little short of 10 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment