Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Lake Wimico to Carrabelle

After a long day's cruise, I spent the night on Lake Wimico. It was a larger lake and a much larger cove than I had anticipated, but after the sun went down, the lake settled.
I had a good night's sleep on anchor. It was here, or near here, that I cruised into the Eastern Time Zone. When I got up it was already after 8a. I had coffee, but skipped a proper breakfast as I wanted to get underway. I did the engine check and got started on my way. I still had a little coffee left, so I had a breakfast bar.
It was mostly a pretty cruise along the Jackson River. This area was a little more natural and a little more beat up by hurricanes than the cut was. I saw several sunken boats, boats out of place, wrecked docks, and abandoned homes.
By early afternoon I had gotten out of the lake and through the Jackson. I entered the Apalachicola River. The wind and waves were coming straight at me. It was rough going. But, my little boat just plugged along. I was running a nearly full power. Then, it got really rough. I entered Apalachicola bay. Again, the wind and the water were against me. It was about an 8 hour run. I had called C-Quarters the previous day and made arrangements for an overnight slip. I called again when I was about an hour out. They were on the dock waiting for me when I pulled in. I filled up on fuel and moved over my assigned slip.
Secure for the night, I had a couple of beers. I was exhausted.
As I write this, it looks like I might be here for a  few more nights. The winds are unfavorable for the 70+ mile crossing to Steinhatchee. I figure as long as I am waiting, I'll get some work done on the boat. The fuel gauge has never worked, so I've got someone coming over to take a look at replacing the sending unit. He says he will also look at repairing the dinghy. I also made a call to a local artist to see about painting the name Traveler on the boat. She hasn't returned my call. So, I'm stuck for a few days, but at least this place is affordable.
I just added up the miles I've traveled thus far... Drum roll, please... 190.1 nautical miles!
Carrabelle has a live stream web cam - Carabelle WebCam


No comments:

Post a Comment