Thursday, April 6, 2017

Night of the Howling Wind

The forecast for high winds came true. I went to bed last night at about 11p. I don't think I was in bed more than about 10 minutes when the wind shifted and increased in velocity. I had been tied up to the lee side of the dock, but with the wind shift, I was being hammered into the dock. I thought that I might alleviate the situation by removing all of the side curtains. They seemed to be acting like sails. It didn't help.
I started pushing the boat away from the dock with my arms and after about half an hour or 45 minutes, my arms were screaming. A dock hand came by and I asked him for help. He said he only had a minute because another boat had snapped several of its lines and was at risk. He pushed the boat away from the dock while I jumped up on the dock. I started fending the boat off the dock with my legs. He said he'd be back as soon as he could. For the next 2 hours I kept the boat from hammering against the dock. When the dockhand came back, he was carrying a large, round, orange fender. He positioned it at the bow of the boat. The wind continued, unabated. But now the boat was squishing a ball instead of beating itself to death on the dock.
I got back to bed around 2:30a. I am ever grateful for the help of a guy whose name I don't know. I slept, fitfully, until about 8:30a. And the wind is still blowing. My arms, legs, and back really hurt. Good thing Gina, my P/A, gave me a prescription for a bottle full of 600mg ibuprofen.
Looks like I'll be here another night, possibly 2, as the forecast is for continued high winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment