Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Steinhatchee, Florida

I spent nearly a week in Carrabelle waiting for a weather window and a buddy boat. It wasn't all bad. I drank some beers. I had fresh Gulf oysters and fresh Gulf shrimp. I chatted with passersby. Just about everybody that walks past the boat has a comment.
Saturday (4/15/17), M/Y My Dream arrived at C-Quarters. The owners, Ted and Sue, have cruised all over the place in their Kady Krogen 42. We had beers onboard their boat and chatted away the afternoon. We decided to re-position to Dog Island on Sunday for the crossing to Steinhatchee on Monday.
Sunday, the plans abruptly changed when Ted wound up in the ER. The diagnosis was cellulitis. He was given a course of antibiotics and told to take it easy.
So, instead of going to Dog Island, we stayed at C-Quarters. Ted and Sue invited me over to their boat for Easter Dinner. We decided to head out early Monday for Steinhatchee. The weather forecast was for 10 kt winds and 1/2 meter seas.
We were all up early on Monday. Capt. Kim from C-Quarters was there as were a couple of other loopers. We were on the water at about 0730. It was calm heading out to the Gulf. We rounded Dog Island and the conditions deteriorated quickly. Instead of 1.5 to 2 foot seas, we got 3 to 4 foot seas. Instead of 10 kt. winds, we got 15 kt. winds. For nearly 12 hours, we rocked and rolled across the Gulf. As we entered the channel to approach Steinhatchee, I ran out of fuel. Ted and Sue came back for the rescue. They got a line from their boat to mine. They attached a 5 gallon jug of diesel fuel to the line and I dragged it across to my boat. I got most of the 5 gallons into my boat and with some reluctance, my engine restarted. We made the last 5 or so miles up the Steinhatchee River without incidentl and docked at the Sea Hag Marina.
I treated Ted and Sue to dinner at a nearby restaurant. It was a pleasant walk, there and back. They had already decided to head out in the morning. I was undecided.
I spent a quiet night and got up fairly early. I coiled up the line that we had used to pass the jug of diesel. I had the jug refilled with diesel and returned both the line and the jug to Ted. Ted came over and offered me a little guidance on how to change the main fuel filter on my engine. And then, they took off.
I spent the rest of the morning changing the fuel filter. Not a difficult job, but as I had never done it before, it was a learning experience. I got some help from one of the guys, Rodrigo, here at Sea Hag.
By the time that was done, I had decided to spend another night here. I'll try to get a reasonably early start tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment