Saturday, September 2, 2017

Canadians/Canadiens

I needed to change the oil on the boat. It needs to be changed every 150 hours and it was slightly overdue. I had the cover to the engine up and was beginning to work on removing the oil. I wound up talking to the guy in the boat next to me. I asked if he was a diesel guy and he replied that he had just retired from a 35 year career with Caterpillar Canada. So, I related the story of what had happened to me on the way up the river. He explained that the engine would only run to fuel flow. Then, he asked when was the last time the fuel filters were changed. I had never changed the secondary filter and the primary was changed about 500 hours ago. He said that that was likely my problem. Change the filters now. And, change the primary every time the oil is changed and the secondary every other time.
I spent the next several hours changing the oil/oil filter and the primary and secondary fuel filters. Runs like a charm. I am ever grateful to him for his advice.
Later that same day, I met a group of Canadians from Windsor. We talked about boats, traveling by boat, the great loop, Canada, and the USA. And... oh, by the way - they fed me beer. They came over to my boat and we talked about it and more about the loop. Later that evening, they invited me to join them, but, unfortunately, I was tired and just getting into bed, so I declined. I felt bad about that.
Next day, I was up and ready to go. The draw bridge only opened on the hour and half-hour so I made to out at the 9am opening. I had several more miles of current fighting on the St. Clair River. But, I finally made it onto Lake Huron. A couple of hours cruising got me to Lexington, MI.
I pulled into and got tied up at Lexington State Harbor. I started to walk over to the office to get registered and I hear, "Jack!" It was the Canadian crew from St. Clair Marina. After registering, I got invited to drink more beer (they forced me, what can I say?). The crew had heard that there was a concert in the park adjacent to the marina. A group called Taylor Tucky was playing.
Several of us walked over to the park, some stayed at the boats (you could hear just fine from the boats). There were also a couple of food trucks there.
One of the trucks was from Wimpy's Place a local restaurant, just a brief walk up from the marina. I had a couple of cheeseburgers. I thought they were pretty good. The band was pretty good, too. Country, not my favorite, but they were really into it and put on a good performance.
We walked back to the boats and drank more beer, imagine that.
Nice folks and more proof that Canadians are the nicest people in the world.

PS The wife of the gentleman who helped be diagnose the engine is French Canadian. We chatted for a bit after I had done my engine work. She was surprised that I was doing the loop by myself. She called me, "loup de mer". She asked if there was a similar phrase in English. I was a little stumped. Literally, it means sea wolf, but I think she meant something more like old salt or sea dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment