Saturday, September 23, 2017

Cross to Beaver Island

August 27, 2017
On the 26th, I visited with my friends Gary and Sally. One of the sights we saw was the Mackinac Bridge. It is nearly 5 miles in length and is often referred to a Big Mac. Here is a picture of Sally and me with the bridge in the background.
On the 27th, with a full load of fuel and water, I headed out for Beaver Island. Not long after casting off, I passed under the giant suspension bridge.
It was to be a 40 mile run under pretty bad conditions. I was, again, being tossed around like a cork at a pool party. I was being thrashed so bad that at one point the dinghy came loose. It had uncoupled the bar that it was tied to and was hanging off of the end of the boat. The only thing to do was to go to idle speed and untie and unwrap the knots that the wave had made to my lines. It took me about 30 minutes (5 under calm conditions) to get the dinghy lashed back down.
I finally made it to Beaver Island. Nice marina, captain's lounge, WiFi, good showers. I was told that there was a really nice Irish Bar in town, The Shamrock.
So, I got all showered and dressed and as soon as I started to walk into town, the skies opened up. It poured all night. So, it was another can of chili night on the boat.
The weather forecast indicated high winds and high waves for the following day, so I figured that I'd get another shot the next day.
The weather, of course, fools me everyday. When I got up in the morning, the skies were cloudy, but there was little wind and not much in the way of waves.
There were two decisions to be made. 1. Go or No go. 2. Michigan or Wisconsin.
The decision was Go for Michigan. I headed southeast for Charlevoix, Michigan.
As I was pulling out of the marina, I heard on my VHF, "Farewell, Traveler". The lady at the marina was really nice and that made me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment