Friday, September 29, 2017

Continuing South

Having turned to corner, so to speak, at the Mackinac Bridge did a lot to cheer me up. Even though I got beaten up again crossing over to Beaver Island, a southerly heading made me feel good.
First stop for September was in Ludington. One of Ludington's claims to fame is a coal fired ferry boat, the SS Badger, that runs from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI a couple of times a day. You can smell the coal fire before you see the boat (I don't think that the EPA is happy). The couple on the boat next to me told me all about it.
They had invited me over for beers on their boat. And, we wound up walking into town for dinner. It's just amazing all the nice people that I've met on this trip.
After Ludington, I headed to Pentwater, MI. Soon after I tied in for the night, a gentleman stopped by my boat and asked if I was really doing the loop. I said yes and he invited me to come join a group of other loopers for "docktails" down at the other end of the marina. Fun group, one couple was from WV, over near Charleston. We talked and shared stories and drank.
I wound up having to stay in Pentwater for 5 days. The weather on the lake was terrible. One of the loopers went out on the third day and quickly turned around and re-docked. The waves, he said, were huge.
It turned out to be a good stop for five days. There is a grocery store in town. There is also a laundry. I took advantage of both There are also a couple of decent restaurants in town and I took advantage of them as well.
So, the 5 days turned out to be pretty productive, but the weather wasn't cooperating. It was the waves and wind on the lake that kept us in, but it was the cold and rain that made it unpleasant. And, then this happened -

No comments:

Post a Comment