Saturday, September 23, 2017

Onward to Leland and Frankfort

Leland Harbor Light
August 29-31, 2017
The weather cooperated for a couple of days, so I was able to move on down the west coast of Michigan. I hopped over to Leland. Nice little town. A little touristy, lots of T-shirt shops and adventure outfitter kinds of places. There is an historic area, Fishtown. Back in the olde days, it's where fishermen dried their nets, sold their catches, and generally took care of business.
I walked around a bit, did a little grocery shopping, and generally goofed off for the day.
As I crossed the parking lot headed back to the boat, I spotted a wallet laying open in the parking lot. I brought it back to the marina and the harbor master said that he knew the guy who lost it.
Another quiet night at another great Michigan harbor. I left early en route to Frankfort.
And, another 5 hour straight line kind of day. Not much to report. I got into Frankfort and tied in for the night.
The harbor master told me that there were a couple of good restaurants in town. One of them is a brew pub. That had my attention. I walked up into town, with a couple of other loopers, and found Stormcloud Brewing. I had an interesting hopped stout with a nice salad.
Walking back to the boat, I passed a restaurant named Dinghy's. I thought I'll try that tomorrow night if the weather continues to be bad. And, so it did.
The winds continued to toss the lake so, I stayed for a second night. It gave me the opportunity to get some laundry done. I also took a long walk around town and hit an ATM. It's a beautiful, quiet little town.
Frankfort Light built in 1912
I did go to Dinghy's for dinner. Let me rave about that for awhile. I had an unbelievably good deep-fried walleye served with an equally good coleslaw. I opted for the extra price sweet potato fries. The fries were the crispiest sweet potato fries I've ever had. They were served with an aioli. I can't say enough about how good this dinner was. And to top it off, they had a New Zealand sauvignon blanc.
That was the end of my fifth month on the loop.


No comments:

Post a Comment