Monday, September 18, 2017

Fear!

August 20, 2017
The run from Port Austin to Lewisville was about 40 miles. I set out at about 0930. The forecast was for 5-10 kt winds and waves of 1.to 1.5 feet. That seemed to be within bounds.
I was about 3 hours out when the wind started to kick up. And along with the wind came the waves. I tried to keep a course into the waves, but that course essentially had me going away from my destination. I tried, for a brief time to head into the wave, but the boat was taking a beating. Changing course at all was a really scary thing to do. I wound up surfing the waves.
I don't think I've ever been so scared in my life. The waves now were at about 5 feet (and I may be underestimating). As a wave would pass by, the stern was lifted up. The wave would increase my speed, sometimes up to 14 kts. As it pushed the boat forward, the wave would push the stern to starboard, so much so that I feared broaching. I had to steer hard to starboard to keep the boat upright. Then, as the crest of the wave passed I'd have to center the rudder to keep the boat on course. And, when I say on course, I really mean on a course that would keep the boat from capsizing. I was miles off my intended course.
I steered on like this for nearly 5 hours. It's one thing to get scared, it's entirely another thing to fight the weather and the waves for that length of time. I pulled into Lewisville thoroughly shaken. Thoughts of abandoning the trip had crossed my mind.
I can admit, now, that Lake Huron completely intimidated me. It was all I could do to drag myself out of bed the following day.

No comments:

Post a Comment