Thursday, September 14, 2017

Recovery

August 16, 2017
So, the nice lady at Beach Harbor Marina gave me a business card from Dirty Hooker Diesel. She said that the owner was a really nice guy and did a lot of work on boats in the marina. She also said that I could call him anytime. So, on a Sunday afternoon, I called the owner, Tony, and he said he'd be over later on in the afternoon. Sure enough, he arrived about 3p.
I probably forgot to mention that the fresh water pump for the engine had developed a serious leak. That, too, was causing me a bit of concern. The first order of business was to remove the pump. He said that he'd try to rebuild it and that he'd send somebody over on Monday to re-rig the mast.
I spent a quiet night in the marina. Michigan has a really great marina system. It's run by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources. There is, or is supposed to be, a marina about every 30 miles all the way around the state. I wound up taking advantage of many of them. Anyway, I got a call from the shop and found out that they couldn't rebuild the pump, a new one would have to be ordered. And, the body guy from the shop would be there later to take some measurements.
To make a long story short, measurements were taken, braces were fabbed up, and on Tuesday, a guy from the shop re-erected the mast and fastened it down. The bad news (sorta) was that the pump wouldn't be in until the next day (Wednesday).
The metal bars (port and starboard) now secure the mast.
One of the women working at the marina offered to take me into town to do some grocery shopping. I got a few things I needed and we returned to the boat. The interesting part of shopping was that the town's grocery store was a gas station. And, as the woman said, "Pretty good grocery store for a gas station, eh?"
When I got back from shopping, the guy in the boat next to mine asked me over for a beer. I'm not normally an IPA guy, but Tom offered me an All Day IPA from Founders Brewing. Delicious! Tom is a diver. Dry suit, mixed gas, deep diver. So, we spent part of the afternoon talking about diving and  the great number of pristine wrecks that dot the bottom of Lake Huron.
Wednesday afternoon, Tony showed up at about noon with the new pump under his arm. The pump itself is easy on/easy off, but it was an expensive pump and the shipping was fairly expensive. Not that I'm complaining. Tony did great work and for him to have come out on a Sunday and then do the job himself was amazing.
As soon as the pump was installed, we gave it a quick run up and leak check. Everything was good, so with my newly affixed mast and new water pump, I shoved off for Port Austin.

No comments:

Post a Comment